Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Ellis Island

This last Saturday Rhett and I went down to Ellis Island. It took us forever to get there. We of course got lost on the subway. This time it wasn't our fault! They closed down the 1 train and that messed up everyone not just the Johnson's.

Good thing I packed Carrots


Then we got on a ferry out to the island. I really enjoy ferry rides.


Before we got to the Ferry we walked by a person pretending to be the Statue of Liberty, Then we saw the real one on the way to the island.

When you get there you go into a big room. The same room all of the immigrants would go. They would be packed in there until they were called up stares. Walking up the stares was part of their medical exam. They would also check their eyes with button hooks. If they thought there was a problem they would mark them with chalk. Which meant they would be further examined and might not get access into the country.
These are some of the people who came through Ellis Island.
The women were given special help. They wanted to make sure they wouldn't come to the country with no way to live. They even gave them makeovers. It seems like the United states always loved makeovers. Shout out to my friends Stacy and Clinton.
I liked this flag that changed depending on where you stand.
This is our ferry and the Statue of Liberty was in the background from Ellis Island.
It was a really neat trip, I almost cried three times.
It was really an amazing place to visit and I learned so much about what people gave to come here and what this nation gained by their sacrifices.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

You should have just gone ahead and cried. I would have. A good makeover always makes me tear up.

PS- What a pretty scarf!

Marisa and Rob said...

Hey Leslie!!!! I hope you don't mind that I got your blog?! Looks like your having a great time in NY!!! I love your appartment...cute!!! I hope you will keep in touch!!!

Sarah, Abbey, and Clara said...

Leslie!! What an amazing experience! We never even think about that stuff out here in the Wild West. (Well I don't at least, it's always about the pioneers crossing the plains). Anyway, thank goodness for those awesome makeovers, and that you brought carrots. Thanks for sharing! LOVE YOU!!!