Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I Live Where?

I know I live in New York but it still seems really REALLY strange. I feel like a tourist most of the time and I am intensely aware that I am from Arizona ALL of the time. Sometimes I feel like I somewhat fit in, like when someone asks me for directions and I can answer the question. "Oh yeah lady the 1 stops at 86Th." - I'm a pro, WHAT!

Other times I feel like a lame-O outsider. For example, I was getting on the bus and I put my metro pass in the wrong way and the driver flipped it around for me and said "Welcome to New York." -Ooh...That made me so sad...then mad...then sad again.

Last week I finally felt like "Okay, this is not just some long extended trip." Because, I went to the dentist! That is a pretty committed thing to do in the town you live in right? This isn't just a fling. NY and I are in love and I am sticking around for a while!

7 comments:

Alisha said...

We've decided to take a trip to New York in September for Tommy's birthday. I'm really nervous, I don't know anything about riding a bus...

Desiree said...

I love NY...I would love to live there for like 4 years and then leave. It's just so stinking cool!! Enjoy it!

Sarah, Abbey, and Clara said...

Leslie!!! I would have PUNCHED that bus driver in the face if I would have been with you!! He doesn't know ANYTHING, and you're my hero, because according to ME you know EVERYTHING there is to know about NEW YORK!!
Also, I'm proud of you for going to the dentist!! Oh my goodness HOW do you choose a dentist in NEW YORK?? I would be so afraid! But, I think I really love your new dentist! He looks a lot like that actor Steve Martin!! And his assistant's look super cool and sassy!! Good choice, I bet your super cool friend Abbie referred you to him.
Maybe you should work on a Brooklyn accent, and use it when going to various New York locations....then stupid people like that bus driver won't make you sad....then mad.....then sad again. Don't you think mom should be a New York bus driver!?!? Oh my goodness, wouldn't that be funny?
LOVE YOU!!

Abbie said...

Ahh!! I feel the same way. Sometimes I am rockin this place. Other times...not so much. But the dentist, that's big time!

Eli missed you today. He asked where you were. We love your guts.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am so impressed you went to the dentist. I can't wait to visit, but to do everyday things seems hard. Bus drivers are just rude. I should know I'm one! I realized something. When you love NY, I love NY. When you have a bad time I'm not so happy with NY!

Crystal said...

Remember how much you don't like going to the dentist? Remember how much you do like feel like you know your way around places?

Remember how much I heart you?

Vicki Johnson said...

You are beyond cute and I am missing you and wishing I knew you better.
xoxo