Monday, June 6, 2011

I Go To School...

and sometimes I even learn things. This week I am loving everything I am gleaning from ol' UOP. My class is called "Communication: Theories and Practice" and the best thing I have learned so far is that I am NOT crazy, but, I have ran into a whole bunch of people who are. That's right, it's you, not me.

The specific communication theory is called "Uncertainty Reduction Theory". It states that communication upon an initial meeting is used to reduce uncertainties between strangers and people are most concerned with increasing predictability in an effort to make sense out of a communication experience. Meaning, all of those conversations about where you grew up, your favorite color or movie and how many brothers and sisters one has are really important and part of our cultural ritual. We need all that superficial conversation so we can feel comfortable enough to build a relationship.

When a person violates cultural ritual by self-disclosing inappropriate information within the initial meeting their behavioral uncertainty will increase and we secretly think, "you are crazy!"

This makes sense to me, when I meet a person for the first time I don't tell them about how I love making music videos about my cats or that I don't just bite my fingernails, I bite my toenails too*. I would alienate everyone! Anyway, all in all I don't mind crazy people, they make my life interesting. Just don't expect me to handle it with grace or class if you show me your appendix scar before you tell me your name.


*these are mostly jokes.

10 comments:

Sarah, Abbey, and Clara said...

I love this!! I LOVE that I now know this!! Now, when someone does this to me, I am going to automatically know that they are culturally crazy!! I always thought I was supposed to somehow sympathize with them, my eyes have been opened. Thank you Leslie for sharing!

Crystal said...

The first half of your second paragraph sounds SO smart. You are one educated dino. (PS. The culturally crazy dino, Betty? Who did you name her after?)

Crystal said...

And what does it mean when you are first getting to know someone and you say to her, "Let's go look at all the clothes in your closet"? And then the other person is like, "Here, have this American Eagle t-shirt please."

Rheslie said...

Betty is a bunch of people who have said stuff like that to me. and I actually told our meeting story in a report I just wrote about this very theory! I should send it to you.

Heidi said...

if there are any music videos of your cats i want to see them.

Crystal said...

Yes! Send me the paper! I love to participate in your school work, as previously discussed.

Gail said...

What about email? Does email count? Or is just the first face-to-face conversation...

Because I seem to remember you reading a very embarrassing email that I sent to my sister and was not supposed to reach public eyes. But I think you still like me.

Amy said...

Love you Leslie! Thank you for enlightening us all. I'm so going to just laugh next time a person does this. Hey, this is us, not as interesting as you, but
brandonamyshort.blogspot.com

Abbie said...

Leslie. You have sealed the deal. You have a officially won ALL prizes!

YOU ARE SO FREAKING FUNNY!!! And I wish I could marry you.

And I think you've cracked the code of how we can survive the city without anymore heartache - we tell new people freaking crazy everything. I CAN'T WAIT!

The Colbys... written by Erin said...

bah haha! You CRACK me up! Did you MAKE that cartoon??? you are too much. I LOVE it! MISS YOU.. is that too forward?